Join Doggone Safe VP Jennifer Shryock and author Colleen Pelar for a weekend of learning about managing and enhancing the child/dog relationship.
Date: Sept 21-22, 2013
Location: Boston/Cambridge MA
This seminar is for trainers, shelter staff, vets, vet techs, parents and expectant parents.
CEUS: CCPDT 12, IAABC 12
Click here for more details or to register
Download seminar flyer
DAY 1 - SATURDAY:
TIME: 9-9:30am - WELCOME: JENNIFER SHYROCK & COLLEEN PELAR
TIME: 9:30A-12:00P - WHAT DOGS WISH PEOPLE KNEW
PRESENTER: COLLEEN PELAR
- The “Good Dog Myth”, impossible standard and unrealistic expectations
- No “One size fits all” solution to rough toddler handling of dog
- Tolerance vs Enjoyment: when does kid behavior reach “enough already!”
- Teaching how to supervise and read body language & stress signals
- Setting Rules & Boundaries: what to look for & when to intervene
- Teens can be as tough as Toddlers!
TIME: 1PM-4:15PM - INCLUSION, REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS FOR BOTH CHILDREN AND DOGS IN THE HOME
PRESENTER: JENNIFER SHRYOCK
- Strategies to Decrease Bite Incidents (1:00PM-2:30PM) Learn proactive planning for dog & child safety zones before baby’s arrival; We will go over increase in problems due to unpredictable baby/toddler body movements; Inclusion of dog in daily activities with baby/toddler always requiring SUPERVISION; Learning/teaching canine body language and stress signals; Resident vs family dog; What we know about “inclusion”
- Essential Tips For In Home Consultations (2:45PM-4:15PM)
DAY 2 - SUNDAY:
TIME: 9-10:15AM CAPTURING THEIR ATTENTION: Activities for Kids
PRESENTERS: Jennifer Shryock & Colleen Pelar
- Kids learn best with active involvement. You’ll learn specific ideas for capturing kids attention and teaching them about dogs, either in private lessons or when teaching a roomful of kids basic safety like “Be a Tree”
TIME: 10:30-12PM – SPATIAL ISSUES: THINGS GET TOO CLOSE
PRESENTER: Jennifer Shryock
- Toddlers & dogs can clash if things get too close and parents miss a signal of discomfort from the dog. You’ll learn about age characteristics and behaviors that often lead to tense moments; Grumble & Growl Zones and how to prevent or handle them; age related behaviors and dog/children interactions; how and when to intervene. You will learn solutions for doing “things” differently & talking to clients without causing fear or shut down.
TIME: 1:00PM-2:30PM – COMMUNITY OUTREACH: SPEAK ABOUT KIDS & DOGS WHILE PROMOTING YOUR BUSINESS
PRESENTER: Colleen Pelar
- Sharing what you know about kids and dogs can improve safety and understanding. You’ll learn strategies to teach people and promote your business in your community, from fun fairs to library visits to school career days.. Be A Tree; The 3 Steps For Meeting Dog; Pros & Cons of bringing a demo dog; Activities to teach kids about dog body language.
TIME: 2:45P-4:15PM – DOGS & STORKS COMMUNITY EVENT (open to expecting parents in the community)
PRESENTER: Jennifer Shryock
- A live presentation of a Dogs & Storks program. You’ll hear actual questions & answers learn tips to share with clients who want to help prepare their dog for life with a baby!